Today is the day, Watchers! It's been nearly 17 months since we launched our Fig campaign and showed: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire to you all for the first time. This is our first sequel to one of our own titles – and our first followup in a series. We've learned so much and been able to improve so much, thanks to your help. We couldn't have imagined that the response to the announcement of Deadfire would be what it was – you helped us fund the game even faster than we did Pillars 1! For that, and for your continued support, thank you.
Along the way, we hit stretch goal after stretch goal. We discussed multiclassing (and went over the changes to that system later on). Of course, we delivered our take on an all-new companion relationship system, in part due to community request. We showed you the ship that that would be your home base and your means of travel around the enormous Deadfire Archipelago. We even had a portal to the puppet universe open to explain how the ships worked. You also proved that our design decisions were right by helping us fund Pillars II higher than our original campaign for Pillars of Eternity! We're still stunned and incredibly grateful to have such an awesome community backing us. Everything we put into the game you're about to play we did with you in mind, first and foremost.
But, being the awesome humans you are, you didn't stop there! You kept the word going and brought in new eyes to Pillars II and made the Slacker Backer totals rise up. Your help has allowed us to make Deadfire into the biggest and best RPG we've worked on yet. We will forever be appreciative for all that you've done. While we can never truly express how we feel, Pillars II Design Director, Josh Sawyer, is here with some words for you all: on behalf of all of us here at Obsidian:
The road to Eternity started back on September 14th, 2012 and now six years later, we're here with the biggest, deepest, most incredible Pillars journey yet, but we aren't done! We'll continue to bring you updates post-launch and keep you notified of any news that is happening with Deadfire and the upcoming DLCs – which, by the way, are shaping up to be amazing, as well.
What is a launch without a launch trailer? We're happy to share the official Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire launch trailer!
Manage Your Pledge, Redeem Your Key
If you haven't done so yet, don't forget to manage your pledge on the Eternity Backer Portal so you can access your copy of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! Once your pledge is linked, go to the Products Page of your account and generate the Deadfire key for your preferred platform, Steam or GOG. Once you have the key, enjoy! Browse here for detailed instructions on how to complete your pledge.
Get Your Digital Rewards
On that same Products Page where you get your Pillars II key, you'll also find any digital rewards that you may have with your pledge tier. We do want to do some special call outs for two of the items, though.
- PnP Start Guide - The Pillars of Eternity PnP Starter Guide is being released in an early state of the game's development and we would greatly appreciate your feedback while you try it out at home. For anything you'd like us to know about the Starter Guide, please send feedback to email@example.com.
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Novella - The novella is coming together, but isn't yet ready for primetime. We don't expect the delay on this item to be too long and will update everyone as we have more information!
Critical Role Free DLC Pack
Bring Vox Machina into the world of Eora with this free DLC pack! This pack will bring player voice sets and character portraits for the characters popularized in Critical Role's first campaign. The DLC pack is available now for download through Steam, GOG, and Origin!
Listen to the Main Theme
We are very happy to share with you the main theme from Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Composed by Obsidian Audio Director, Justin E. Bell, get ready to set sail into the Deadfire with this fantastic piece!
We're so honored that so many critics are as excited about Pillars II as we are!
- MMORPG.com - It is something special, something you’ll want to play again and again and is a game that will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the genre’s best. 10/10
- Worth Playing - If you're a fan of isometric RPGs, I would highly recommend you check out Deadfire, which may end up being a new favorite. It certainly is for me. 95/100
- Game Informer - It’s the swashbuckling flavor of the Deadfire Archipelago that helps this new project shine, mixing magic, dragons, and mythical gods with pirates, sailing, and a lengthy quest to discover what dangers lurk beyond the horizon. 8.75/10
- WIRED - That’s what makes Deadfire so special. All kinds of actions, from big to small, can echo throughout the handcrafted map, leaving you to deal with, and adapt to, the consequences.
We hope you all enjoy your time in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. If you have any issues, please head over to our new support portal to help you on your journey.
Until next time, Watchers!