It's the 1 year anniversary since the launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! We here at Obsidian can't thank you enough for the support and feedback you have given the game since the Fig campaign launched two years ago. Now we're here, a year out from the release of Pillars II and have one final patch for you all. The time has come for the launch of Update 5.0 for Deadfire! This patch brings some new features and bug fixes to Pillars II and our own Design Director, Josh Sawyer, has made a video to let you know what you can expect from the update.
Patch 5.0 Highlights
There are a host of bug fixes in the 5.0 update that you can read on our forums, but here are some of the highlights for you:
- New Ship UI
- An update to the UI has been implemented that will come up any time you engage with a ship on the seas that brings a more elegant way to perform ship-to-ship encounters.
- Turn-Based Mode Out of Beta
- Thanks to feedback from the community, we have made a lot of changes to turn-based mode to account for bugs and balance fixes and it is now in full release with the 5.0 patch.
- New Story Content Added
- After listening to feedback on the critical path of the game when it came to reactivity with Woedica and Eothas, so we’ve decided to go in and write new lines and get them recorded by the original actors to add more to that aspect of the game.
- Anarchist Path Adjustments
- Some critical path items have been moved out of Neketaka to other locations in the Deadfire to address the difficulty and length that the game had if choosing to not side with a faction at Ondra’s Mortar.
- The Ultimate
- The final God Challenge will be live with the 5.0 patch. This challenge, “The Ultimate” will turn on all other God Challenges, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, and Solo mode.
The Ultimate Challenge
In addition to the above changes, Patch 5.0 also introduces the Ultimate Challenge for Deadfire. The challenge is not for the faint of heart, and only the most devoted and erudite of our players stand even a chance in this challenge, but the first twelve players to triumph will be immortalized in Obsidian's studio lobby for all to see. The first twelve Watchers to succeed at the challenge will get their names and their Watchers' names, classes, and levels upon our Deadfire Ultimate Challenge plaque hanging in our lobby. And yes, that means that everyone who comes through our studio will bear witness to the glory of your triumph.
Not only that, but the first 50 players who complete the challenge will get a very special patch that not only celebrates your achievement wherever you wish to flex it, but also has Josh's face on it to let the world know you have his approval.
The Ultimate Challenge Submission Guidelines and Terms
In order to streamline the review and vetting process, please read the following submission guidelines and terms:
- Cheating, including save-scumming, use of third-party tools or mods, and/or doing anything in a manner contrary to the spirit of the challenge is prohibited.
- Console commands that do not require the "iroll20s" command be enabled are allowed.
- Submissions must include a video of the entirety of your run and a save file of the run completed.
- We reserve the right to disqualify a submission without notice or explanation.
If you have completed the challenge and wish to send it in for review and judgment, please send the following evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- We require full video evidence of your run - acceptable forms of video include: Youtube playlist links, or direct download links via Dropbox.
- We also require the save game file with the completed challenge.
Pillars Pen and Paper
Josh has updated the Pillars of Eternity Pen and Paper ruleset and had it playtested with an intrepid band of merry developers - he is now pleased to release it to the general public for play and feedback. You can download it from eternity.obsidian.net later today
Thank you again for your continued support! If you have any issues with the game, contact us through our support portal to help you on your journey.
The Deadfire team